Search This Blog

Saturday, May 7, 2011

Time for a new blog

I have been trying to really get good at saving money lately.  Since moving to Reno in December, my family has basically been trying to survive on a one person income.  After rent, utilities, and GAS... not much left was left for groceries or anything else.  I had to figure out how to get the most for the buck.  So, I went online and started researching, printing, and clipping.  Let me just say, I have always been a pretty frugal shopper, but when you can cut a $150 shopping trip in half... you feel pretty darn good.

I have now become obsessed with raising that 50% off my grocery bill to 75% or more.  I now really plan out my trip before going to the store.  I make a list of exactly what I am going to get, take all the coupons out of my binder that I am going to use, and try to have a few extra dollars for any unadvertised deals that I see while I am there (and of course I have my binder with me for those unexpected moments).

My last trip to Smith's, I knew I was going to get lots of FREEBIES (my new favorite word).  I filled my shopping cart with 20 boxes/bags of FREE pasta and some free rice.  I also got a 16 pack of toilet paper, 2 gallons of milk, 1 dozen eggs, 3 3-liter bottles of water, 10 yogurts, and 4 flavored waters.  My total before coupons and card savings was $75.63.  I only spent $20.85.  I saved 72% or $54.78.  Taking out the milk, eggs, and toilet paper (the necessities), I saved about 85%.

My goal is to spend no more than $60/month on groceries... right now I am at about $100-$150.  I hope to make my goal within the next few months and start making a nice stockpile of FREEBIES!

No comments:

Post a Comment